What is CPT?
CPT is an off-campus work authorization for an internship.
When do I Need to Seek CPT Authorization?
- You MUST apply for and receive CPT authorization BEFORE you begin your internship.
- CPT is authorized with a specific employer for a specific amount of time.
- CPT can only be used prior to completion of studies, while you are enrolled as a student.
Am I Eligible to Apply for CPT?
- Are you in valid visa status?
- Are you registered as a full-time student?
- Have you been a student in the United States for at least two consecutive academic semesters?
When Should I Apply for CPT?
- When you have a internship offer. This job must be directly related to your field of study.
- Before you have finished all of your coursework towards your degree.
- At least 2 weeks before you want to begin work.
Can I Get a Paid Internship?
Here at R-MC, students can only receive academic credit for unpaid internships. If you want a paid internship (no credit), then you must apply for OPT.
When Can I Start Working at This Job?
After you have received a new I-20 for this period of CPT, the start date of the CPT is the first day you can work.
I'm a new student here. Can I Apply for CPT?
No. Only after you have completed two continuous academic semesters as a student, will you be eligible to apply for CPT.
This means that if you arrived in the United States as a new F-1 student in the Fall semester, you can begin working on CPT after the last day of classes in May. If you arrived as a new student in January (Spring semester), then you can begin work under CPT after Fall semester classes end.
The Application Process
How do I Apply for CPT? What Kind of Paperwork is Needed?
Two pieces of paper:
- A form from the Bassett Internship Program
- A form from the Office of International Education
The CPT packet can be picked up from the OIE office or downloaded from our website. The completed paperwork can be handed in to the OIE office directly, or faxed or emailed to us if you are out of the area.
The OIE will sign and return these forsm PLUS a new I-20 to you in 2-5 business days.
If I Use CPT at R-MC, Can I Use it Again in Graduate School?
Yes. Please note: due to specific internship procedures at R-MC, CPT conducted at other schools may have different procedures. Every F-1 student is eligible for 365 days of CPT per level of studies (e.g. undergraduate, graduate)