Study Abroad Options at RMC

What's the Difference?

Randolph-Macon offers two main types of international education experiences administered by the Office of International Education:

  • Semester abroad programs

  • Study/travel courses

Australia,fall2002Semester Abroad

Semester abroad programs provide opportunities for students to pursue a significant part of their undergraduate education at colleges and universities overseas. Courses are typically offered by the host university and taught by their faculty. Students may study abroad for one semester or a full year. Some semester abroad programs have language requirements, although most do not. R-MC students have an incredible array of locations and programs to choose from, on every continent, in every academic discipline.

China2003Study/Travel Course

Study/travel courses offered by the college are developed by individual R-MC faculty members and jointly administered by the faculty and the Office of International Education. Study/travel courses are usually taught during the four week January term
(J-term). The specific study/travel courses offered each J-term varies annually; some are taught every year, some every other year, and some less frequently. Most J-term study/travel courses are three credit classes. In addition to those offered in the J-term, occasional spring term courses include a travel component during Randolph-Macon's spring break.

The table below describes some of the similarities and differences between semester abroad programs and study/travel courses.

Semester Abroad Programs

Study/Travel Courses

Program fee
(for accepted students only)



Application required?



Costs in addition to R-MC tuition, room, board, and fees

  • Airfare
  • Books
  • Ground transportation
  • Institution-specific fees
  • Meals (extra ones)
  • Semester abroad fee
  • Spending money

See the Semester Abroad Costs page for more details.

Costs generally cover airfare, lodging, some or most meals, ground transportation in the host country, admission fees, and course-related entertainment (e.g., theatre tickets for FINA 350).

See individual course descriptions for more information.

Courses taught by

Faculty at foreign institutions

R-MC faculty

Foreign language proficiency

Generally required only for foreign language courses.

Generally required only for R-MC foreign language courses.

See individual course descriptions for more details.

Grade point average requirement

At least 2.75; higher for specific programs


Length of travel

1-2 semesters (4-12 months)

1-4 weeks

Organized and administered by

Office of International Education working with program providers

Course instructors in conjunction with the Office of International Education

Orientation session provided by R-MC?



Participation in orientation session required?



Passport required?


(except for travel within the U.S.A.)

Semester hours successfully completed prior to participation

At least 48
(usually achieved by the beginning of a student's Junior year)

No minimum requirement
(open to Freshmen through Seniors)

Sign-up for courses through

Office of International Education

Registrar's Office

Visa required?

Yes for programs in Australia, France, Germany, Japan, Korea, New Zealand, and Spain

Check with course instructor