Quantcast
Skip to main content Skip to footer

Professorships at R-MC

professorshipsRandolph-Macon’s professors represent the convergence of superb teaching, distinguished scholarly research and exceptional minds at work. They are the foundation for life at the college, attracting our brightest students, engaging them with new ideas, and, ultimately, propelling them towards a trajectory of lifelong inquiry and learning. The College considers the continued establishment of faculty endowments a high priority and a vital component in the continued attraction of outstanding students and dynamic new faculty. With such endowed professorships, we shall retain, reward and promote the energies of first-rate professors and scholars, and in doing so, we will empower them to seek new knowledge which, in turn, will capture the imaginations and fire the minds of our students as they become aware of new worlds, simultaneously drawing on and developing the unique, fundamental strengths of Randolph-Macon College.

I. N. Vaughan Professor of History

The I. N. Vaughan Professor of History was established in 1898 by Mrs. Emma Lee Vaughan in memory of her husband, Isaac Newton Vaughan, a Richmond tobacco dealer, and a member of a prominent Ashland family. This Professorship honors a member of the Randolph-Macon College History Department. Recipients are:

  • 1900-1908 William Edward Dodd, from the University of Leipzig
    Vaughan Professor of History and Political Science
  • 1908-1917 Charles Henry Ambler
    Vaughan Professor of History and Political Science
    1915 Yellow Jacket dedicated to Ambler
  • 1918-1946 Early Lee Fox
    Vaughan Professor of History and Political Science
  • 1946-1961 William Alexander Mabry
    Vaughan Professor of History and Government
  • 1961-1992 George Brown Oliver
    Vaughan Professor of History
    Retired
  • 1993-2007 James Edward Scanlon
    Vaughan Professor in History
    Retired
  • 2007- Mark G. Malvasi
    Vaughan Professor in History

Stephen Watts Professorship 

The Stephen Watts Professorship grew from the Stephen Watts Fund, to which Dr. Watts, a surgery professor at the University of Virginia and an 1896 graduate of Randolph-Macon College, contributed both during his lifetime and upon his death. Dr. Watts directed his endowment to the “development and advancement” of the Biology Department. To honor Dr. Watts’ vision, on September 13, 1979, the Stephen H. Watts Professorship in the Physical Sciences was established.

  • 1979-1993 William Schuyler Miller
    Stephen H. Watts Professor of Physical Science
  • 1993- William Wallace Martin
    Stephen H. Watts Professor of Biology

Charles J. Potts Award

The Charles J. Potts Award was established in 1995 by the Board of Trustees to recognize Charles J. Potts’ generous, unrestricted bequest to Randolph-Macon College. Mr. Potts attended R-MC and was a member of Phi Delta Theta and the Franklin Literary Society and earned his law degree from the University of Maryland Law School.

  • Howard Davis
    Charles J. Potts Professor of Political Science
  • Bruce Michael Unger
    Charles J. Potts Professor of Political Science

A. G. Ingram Chair in English 

Alexis Gordon Ingram, Class of 1961, established the A. G. Ingram Chair in English in 1998 to recognize a senior member in the Department of English. Mr. Ingram, a member of Kappa Alpha Order, joined the U.S. Navy as an officer candidate after college. Before his retirement in 1998, Mr. Ingram was the senior vice president and investment officer at Wheat First Union where he had been a broker for 30 years.

  • Ted Sheckels
    A. G. Ingram Professor of English

Paul H. Wornom, M.D., Chair in Biological Sciences

The Paul H. Wornom, M.D., Chair in Biological Sciences was established in 1999 by Dr. Paul Wornom, a member of the Class of 1937. After earning his M.D. at the University of Virginia, Dr. Wornom, from 1954 until his retirement in 1989, was a self-employed physician specializing in the family practice of allergies, arthritis and immunology, based at Hampton General Hospital. He has been a member of the American Medical Association, American College of Physicians, the Medical Society of Virginia and the American Association of Clinical Immunology and Allergy, where he served as president of the Southeastern Section in 1978. His brothers, Herman '23, John '29 and Marchant '33 are all R-MC alumni. His nephew, Charles Wornom '64, is also an alumnus.

  • Chas Gowan
    Paul H. Wornom Professor of Biological Sciences

Dudley P. & Patricia C. Jackson Professorship in Chemistry

The Dudley P. & Patricia C. Jackson Professorship in Chemistry was created in 2000 by the estate of Patricia Custer Jackson, Class of 1945. Mrs. Patricia Custer Jackson, a noted plant physiologist, was the retired branch chief of plant physiology and biochemistry with the United States Department of Agriculture, and was a founder of the American Society of Plant Physiologists. Her interests were varied, however and included membership on Randolph-Macon’s Board of Trustees, activity sponsored by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and participation as an alto singer in the Laural Oratorio Society, Columbia Choral Society, and Mount Zion Church Choir. Her husband, Dudley P. Jackson, was a member of the Class of 1944. After graduating, he continued to Medical School and worked as a physician until his retirement.

  • Serge Schreiner
    Dupley P. & Patricia C. Jackson Professor of Chemistry

Edward W. Seese Professorship in Business and Economics 

The Edward W. Seese Professorship in Business and Economics was set up in 1999 in memory of Edward W. Seese, a Businessman who graduated in the class of 1929.

  • C. Barry Pfitzner
    Edward W. Seese Professor of Economics

Robert Emory Blackwell Professor of Humanities 

The Robert Emory Blackwell Professor of Humanities is named in honor of Dr. Blackwell, the distinguished 10th president of Randolph-Macon College. Professor Robert Emory Blackwell was elected president and held the position until his death in 1938. He entered Randolph-Macon at the age of 14 as a member of the first student body in Ashland. Except for one year of study in Europe, he spent 70 years on campus as a student, instructor, professor, and president.

  • M. Thomas Inge
    Blackwell Professor of the Humanities

Macon and Joan Brock Professorship in Psychology 

The Macon and Joan Brock Professorship in Psychology was first named in 2008. Macon and Joan Brock have established a wonderful legacy of giving at Randolph-Macon College: according to Mr. Brock, “"Randolph-Macon is a place where I have chosen to make a difference. It is a place where everyone can make a difference. The college’s record and experience of helping students makes it an excellent investment for us, both now and for future generations. One person can’t do it alone, but by working together, we can make a tremendous difference." Mr. Brock is a member of the Class of 1964, graduating with a degree in classics. After leaving R-MC, he went on to Quantico, Virginia, for Marine Corps Officer training at the Basic School. He served in Viet Nam before becoming a successful entrepreneur, co-founding K and K Toys and Dollar Tree Stores, Inc., a retail chain with over 3,400 stores across the country.

Kelly Lambert
Macon and Joan Brock Professorship in Psychology

Stavros Niarchos Foundation Professor in Classics

Stavros Spyros Niarchos understood the meaning of thinking and acting globally long before the term globalization became prominently used in public policy and economics. His business operations began in Greece, the country of his birth and heritage, yet his accomplishments were notable worldwide.

Although known predominantly for his shipping business, Niarchos´s diversified financial activities were at the core of global industry from the time he formed the Niarchos Group in 1939 until his death in April 1996. His legacy continues into the twenty-first century with the establishment, upon his death, of the Stavros S. Niarchos Foundation. Committed to working in Greece and internationally, the Foundation derives its mission from Niarchos´s keen instincts and interests in providing access to opportunity in the fields of education, social welfare, health, and arts and culture.

In 2009, the Niarchos Foundation created the Stavros Niarchos Foundation Professor in Classics at Randolph-Macon College, which benefits the Classics Department, in general, and supports, specifically, the work of John Camp, leader of Randolph Macon’s excavations in the Agora (ancient marketplace) in Athens, Greece. The Agora, located at the base of the Acropolis, was the democratic center of Athenian economic, social, and political life. Dr. Camp compares the excavation to “digging the Mall in Washington, D.C.” He continues, “The Agora is a large open space surrounded by all the buildings necessary to run the Athenian democracy. So far, the excavations have brought to light the senate building, the vice president’s office, the archives and the mint and law courts. The American society owes much to the influence of the ancient Greeks: architecture, painting, sculpture, theatre, philosophy and law.” Moreover, every year several R-MC students participate in the dig under the supervision of Dr. Camp, leaving their own marks on this most important archaeological site in Greece.

John Camp
Stavros Niarchos Foundation Professor in Classics

Dorothy and Muscoe Garnett Professorship in Mathematics

The Dorothy and Muscoe Garnett Professorship in Mathematics was established in 2008 through the generous bequest of Dorothy and Muscoe Garnett. Muscoe Garnett was a member of the Class of 1930; after graduating, he moved to Suffolk, Virginia where he taught math, science and English for one year at Cypress High School. Garnett then moved to Washington, D.C. where he worked as a correspondent with the Public Works Administration. After a short term in the United States Army, he returned to Suffolk where he eventually became founder and president of Garnett Oil Company. The company was later sold to the Exxon Corporation. Throughout their lives, Mr. and Mrs. Garnett remained supportive of Randolph-Macon, dedicated to providing new and innovative learning opportunities to R-MC students.

Garnett-Lambert Professorship in Chemistry

Garnett-Lambert Professorship in Chemistry, established in 2008, is named for Dorothy and Muscoe Garnett, Class of 1930, and Jordan Wheat Lambert, Class of 1872.

Updated 6/16/15


The Office of College Advancement • P.O. Box 5005, Ashland, VA 23005
alumnioffice@rmc.edu • 866-694-4574