Current News

At Home at R-MC: Taylor Evelyn ’17

Dec 16, 2016

12/12/16 

student taylor evelyn outsideFor Randolph-Macon College student Taylor Evelyn '17, seeing is believing. The Chesterfield, Virginia native toured the R-MC campus when he was a senior in high school, and he loved what he saw.

"During Virginia Private College Week, I had the opportunity to tour the campus, sit in on a class, and have a one-on-one meeting with a professor to discuss my interests and career goals," says Evelyn. "I immediately liked the feel of the campus and knew I belonged here."

Evelyn knew his family couldn't afford tuition, but thanks to assistance from TAG—the Tuition Assistance Grant—as well as other scholarships and grants, he is a proud Yellow Jacket, experiencing all that Randolph-Macon has to offer, from challenging courses to hands-on career preparation. He also works as a tutor in the Higgins Academic Center, and he is a member of InterVarsity Christian Fellowship.

Real Relationships
"Randolph-Macon is the perfect size," says Evelyn, a history and computer science major. "I can walk around campus and always see someone I know. And I love that I have real relationships with my professors, who care about my future. For example, Computer Science Professor John McManus encourages me to be a better student, and History Professor Mathias Bergmann helped me secure one of my internships."

Internships = Hands-on Experience
Evelyn is currently interning at the John Marshall House in Richmond, and last year he interned at Richmond’s Valentine Museum, where he learned about the museum industry.

"I love that I can apply the skills I've learned in all my classes—not just my history and computer science courses—to my responsibilities as an intern," says Evelyn. Ultimately, his goal is to be a museum director. "Working at the Valentine Museum allowed me to see a great many parts of that industry," he says. "I worked in museum studies, and I shadowed the director, tour guides, curators, and marketing specialists, which helped me better understand the industry. In my current internship, I catalogue historical objects—otherwise known as curatorial work."

Evelyn's future plans include graduate school, where he'll study either public history or computer science.

"I'm thankful every day that I'm part of the Randolph-Macon family," he says. "Randolph-Macon is my home away from home."